Table of Contents
Coupons are a great way to offer discounts and rewards to your customers, and can help promote sales across your shop.
If you want to offer coupons, you first need to enable them. Go to: "Settings > Store Settings > Checkout" to enable coupons.
Adding a coupon
To add a coupon, go to "Coupons > All Coupons" from your admin menu. You can edit existing coupons; or create a new coupon by selecting "Add Coupon".
A set of options will appear. At the top, fill in these fields:
- Coupon code - Code to be used by the customer to apply the coupon.
- Description (optional) - Describe the coupon (for internal use).
There are three sections you can use to add restrictions and limits for the coupon: "General","Usage Restriction", and "Usage Limits".
- Discount type :
- Cart discount - A fixed total discount for the entire cart.
- Cart % discount - A percentage discount for the entire cart.
- Product discount - A fixed total discount for selected products only.
- Product % discount - A percentage discount for selected products only.
- Coupon amount - Fixed value or percentage off depending on the discount type you choose. Entered without the currency unit or a percent sign as these will be added automatically, for example "10" for £10 or 10%.
- Allow free shipping - Removes shipping cost when coupon is used. Requires free shipping be enabled.
- Coupon expiry date - What date the coupon should expire and can no longer be used. Expiry happens at 12:00am or 00:00 on the date chosen. If you want a coupon to be valid through Christmas Day but invalid the moment Christmas is over, set the expiration date to YYYY-12-26. It uses your website's time zone setting at "Settings > Website Settings > General > Timezone" in your admin panel.
- Minimum spend - This field allows you to set the minimum subtotal needed to use the coupon. The sum of the cart subtotal + tax is used to determine the minimum amount.
- Maximum spend - This field allows you to set the maximum subtotal allowed when using the coupon.
- Individual use only - Tick the box if you don't want this coupon to be used in addition to other coupons in an order.
- Exclude sale items - Tick the box if you don't want this coupon to apply to products on sale. Per-cart coupons do not work if a sale item is added afterward.
- Products - Selection of products that the cart must contain for the coupon to be valid; or which products are discounted for Product Discounts.
- Exclude products - A list of products that the cart must not contain for the coupon to be valid for Cart Discounts; or which individual products are not discounted for Product Discounts.
- Product categories - A list of product categories that the cart must contain for the coupon to be valid; or which categories are discounted for Product Discounts.
- Exclude categories - A list of product categories that the cart must not contain for the coupon to be valid for Cart Discounts; or which categories are not discounted for Product Discounts.
- Email restrictions - A list of email addresses that are allowed to use a coupon. This verifies with the customer's billing email.
Leaving "Products" and "Exclude Products" blank will allow the coupon to be applied to the entire catalog of products.
- Usage limit per coupon - How many times a coupon can be used by all customers before being invalid.
- Limit usage to X items - How many items the coupon can be applied before being invalid. This field is only displayed if there is one or more products that the coupon can be used with, and is configured under the Usage Restrictions tab.
- Usage limit per user - How many times a coupon can be used by each customer before being invalid for that customer.
Once you've configured all the settings, select "Publish" and your coupon will be ready to be used.
Once you've published your coupon, you can send it to your customers: just copy the title and communicate it with your customers through email and social media. The restrictions, limits and general settings will determine how the coupon can be used by the customers.
How do coupons impact tax calculations?
Coupons are applied to the product price before tax is calculated.